Let's follow up an online session
You may want to use all, or extracts of the following to evaluate your effectiveness in delivering an online teaching/learning session.
Pre Course / Session Communication
Does the pre course/session confirmation:
- Cover details of course/session timings, objectives, pre-requisites and any pre-session work/assignments?
- Cover details of the equipment and facilities learners will need (internet connection, headset)?
- Explain clearly how to log into the live sessions?
- Explain clearly how to setup audio
- Explain what the learner should do if something goes wrong (i.e. trouble logging in to the session, failed audio connection)
Facilitator Setup - Does the Facilitator:
- Determine learner's personal objectives for attending the session prior to the event?
- Determine learner's experience within an online virtual environment prior to the event?
- Tailor the virtual classroom set up for any particular learner needs?
- Ensure all content is correctly loaded and working efficiently?
- Have clear contingency plans if his/her Internet connection fails or the microphone malfunctions?
Facilitator Introduction - Does the Facilitator:
- Confirm with attendees that the learning environment, both physical and virtual, is safe and comfortable and conducive to learning, lighting, sound, working space, equipment?
- Confirm that the audio level and quality is acceptable?
- Clearly explain the system's tools for enabling interaction (i.e. emoticons, chat, ticks and crosses)?
- Clearly establish what is expected from the attendees (i.e. course/session rules)?
- Clearly communicate what the attendee can expect from the facilitator?
- Have a detailed Session Plan and a list of learning outcomes for the session?
- Clearly communicate a route map for the session?
- Clearly communicate the course or session objectives?
- Provide instructions on how learners should respond to questions?
- Communicate what should happen if something goes wrong i.e. loss of internet connection, malfunction of headset/microphone?
Methods and Media for Instructional Delivery
Instructional Methods - Does the Facilitator:
- Use a variety of media/tools to support learning objectives and a variety of learning styles?
- Use learning activities that are relevant to the course or session objectives?
- Use activities to enable learners to contribute to discussions?
- Demonstrate an awareness of learners ’comfort levels’ during interactive sessions?
- Use real life examples, demonstrations, video or stories to reiterate learning points and stimulate interest in the session?
Presentation and Instructional Media - Does the Facilitator:
- Use well designed supporting presentations with consideration given to good graphics and limited text?
- Use a range of interactive tools and other media during the session?
- Incorporate comments in Chat into the session to include the group?
- Use some form of interaction at least once every 3/5 minutes during the session?
- Use each interaction tool or other media smoothly, correctly and with confidence?
- Alter the interaction or medial used, where applicable, to support the learning objectives?
Instructor Credibility and Communications
Facilitator Delivery Competence and Expertise - Does the Facilitator:
- Demonstrate professionalism and confidence with the technology?
- Demonstrate professionalism and confidence with the subject matter?
- Have a positive approach to the tools, technology or course/session content (i.e. do they avoid 'blaming' the technology?)
- Demonstrate a consistent approach to each learner?
- Enable each learner to reflect how they will be using their newly acquired knowledge back in the workplace?
- Confidently handle learner questions?
Facilitator Communication & Presentation Skills - Does the Facilitator:
- Speak clearly and fluently, at the right pace, and use voice and expression appropriate for online broadcast?
- Ensure key learning points are explained, clarified and emphasized through voice inflection, emphasis and pauses?
- Use the participants’ names appropriately?
- Ensure any pauses in the presentation are adequately explained and kept to a minimum (i.e. when closing polls does the Facilitator explain what he or she is doing)?
- Demonstrate that all verbal and non-verbal communication is anti-discriminatory?
- Demonstrate good questioning skills using open and closed questions where appropriate?
- Encourage questions and participation throughout the session?
- Demonstrate awareness of any non-participation and does the Facilitator take appropriate steps to involve these individuals?
- Provide learners with key learning points within the session and a recap at session end?
Facilitating the Group
Establishing a 'comfortable' Learning Environment - Does the Facilitator:
- Deliver a conversational and welcoming introduction when participants log on to the session?
- Clearly communicate the lesson plan and course/session objectives?
- Maintain a good flow/pace to the session whilst ensuring learner needs and session objectives are both met?
- Actively encourage participation and interaction?
- Provide opportunity for learners to work with each other? (i.e. breakout rooms, paired chat)
- Clear emoticons/annotations after each interaction?
- Successfully handle any learner disruptions or negativity?
- Make full use of all necessary tools within the virtual classroom to ensure maximum learner interaction and contribution?
Involving the Learner - Does the Facilitator:
- Demonstrate use of listening techniques to acknowledge and understand learner contributions?
- Use and create opportunities for learners to contribute to activities?
- Use a range of interactive activities that encourage learners to ask and answer questions?
- Ask follow-up questions to encourage learner reflection?
- Demonstrate a high rate of inclusive questioning and use a mixture of facilities?
- Respond in an appropriate fashion (and at an appropriate time) to learner's questions and responses?
- Ensure that feedback given is specific both to the questions asked and to the learner's needs?
- Provide alternative explanations, analogies or stories when a learner is having difficulty grasping a key point?
- Demonstrate awareness of learner's non-verbal communication and take appropriate action?
Motivating the Learner - Does the Facilitator:
- Continually invite relevant participation and interaction?
- Respond with enthusiasm and encouragement to learner interaction and achievements?
- Use a range of appropriate motivational strategies?
- Use a variety of techniques to reinforce learning?
Closing the Session and Evaluation Methods
Evaluating the Learner Performance during the session - Does the Facilitator:
- Actively demonstrate he/she is monitoring the learners’ progress during the session?
- Ensure all learners’ are asked for an equal contribution? (i.e. are some learners overlooked or others asked to provide a response more often)?
- Incorporate appropriate learning points or assessments within the session?
- Gather information that demonstrates learner knowledge acquisition and skills transfer?
Closing the session - Does the Facilitator:
- Ensure that learner achievements are evaluated against the original learning objectives?
- Provide or suggest further resources to reinforce learning?
- Provide details of where learners can obtain further advice or support after the session?
- Ensure that there are no further questions before calling the session to a close?
- Explain clearly to the learner how to log out of the session?
Evaluating Facilitator performance after the session - Does the Facilitator:
- Critique his/her own preparation and session delivery and can this be evidenced?
- Demonstrate evidence changes to session as a result of self-evaluation?
- Evaluate the impact of external influences on the event including virtual classroom software?