Using Free and Inexpensive e-Tools for Induction
- Topic 1Introduction
This course looks at how the use of free and inexpensive technology solutions can support you in meeting some of your induction challenges, and also in enhancing your learners' and employers' experience of induction.
The use of technology can be used in pre-induction and induction to:
How do Learners and Employers View your Induction?
- deliver contexualised activities, which encourage the development of enquiry and research based skills
- facilitate social communication and informal learning between staff and learners
- assess knowledge and skills gained in an interactive and engaging way
- track the delivery of induction information
- Topic 2Technology Supporting Good Practice
The resources in this topic will look at how technology can help to address some of Ofsted Inspectors' feedback on induction.
For example, make induction a memorable and positive experience for learners, which is challenging when at the same time you need to deliver a wealth of information. Also, recongise that the induction may need to be delivered to individual learners as well as to groups.
- Topic 3Ice Breaker Activities
- Topic 4
Capturing Learner Profile Information
The completion of paperwork is a recognised part of induction, which is often viewed as laborious by learners and staff. Using online questionnaires can enhance this aspect of induction and can make the collation of results more efficient.
- Topic 5Engage Learners with Video
Video can be used very effectively in induction. Here are a few ideas:
- Video clips of staff introducing themselves and their roles
- Video clips of a learner review, assessment planning and observation
- Group work; what happens next? or how are your observational skills?
- Topic 6Engage Learners with Mobile Phones
- Topic 7
Turn PowerPoint into an Interactive/Flash Resource
PowerPoint presentations may not be accessible to everyone, however if you convert your presentations into Flash your learners will be able to view them in a PC's web browser or on a smart phone.
- Topic 8Utilise the VLE
- Topic 9